Clusane, whose toponym may derive from Clodius or from Chiusa, is located on the southern shore of the Sebino.
Autonomous municipality until 1927, today it is a fraction of Iseo.
It is one of the oldest lakeside towns: settlements of primitive communities since the Paleolithic are evidenced by traces of pile-dwelling activity and findings of arrowheads and other finds.
The area was also inhabited by the Romans, whose presence is revealed by the discovery of a plaque dedicated to the god Jupiter, now preserved in the Maffeiano Museum in Verona, and by the remains
of a villa in the historic center of the village. In the stone facing of the lake, a semicircular niche can be distinguished flanked on both sides by a series of blind arches perhaps belonging to a nymphaeum. Based on the pottery found during emergency archaeological excavations, it is possible to date the villa to the 1st-2nd century AD In this same stretch of lake there were,
in the Lombard period, the fishing reserves of the monastery of Santa Giulia of Brescia.
The first mention of the town dates back to the end of the 11th century, when the brothers Aliprando and Alberto, belonging to the noble Lombard family of the Mozzi, donated to the monastery of Cluny their part of a chapel dedicated to the saints Gervasio
and Protasio that was inside the castrum. The act was signed
at Iseo on 12 July 1093 and also included all the houses,
the land and tithes pertaining to the donation.
The monks then settled in the ancient castle, built a monastery between 1112 and 1113, around which a small community of peasants and fishermen gathered.
In the first half of the 12th century the Saints Gervasio
and Protasio depended on the monastery of San Paolo d’Argon;
in 1144 it passed to the parish church of Iseo and the annual census was collected by the priory of San Pietro in Lamosa in Provaglio d'Iseo,
under whose control it passed definitively in 1274.
The town of Clusane was built around the castrum which contained, in addition to the chapel, the first nucleus of houses. Traces of the fortification are still visible in the historic center, enclosed by the streets of the old Church, Molino, Castello and Ponta: in Via della Chiesa Vecchia there is a stone arch that protected the highest part of the settlement, and in Via Molino there is the door with an antiporta. In this street, where the mills reported in the seventeenth century were probably to be found, there are also traces of walls and basements of medieval houses, and the Mondella villas (XVIIth century) and Baroni (XVIIIth century) and the modern mill closed in the XXth century are noteworthy. .
In the 14th century the municipality of Clusane was administered by the Quadra of Iseo. In this century the parish was born, reported in 1410, and outside the fortified village was built the castle known as del Carmagnola, probably by the Oldean family of the Oldofredi. Outside the walls, near the small port, there were the fishermen's houses. In 1517 the Sala family, then feudatory of the Carmagnola castle, built a church dedicated to San Rocco in the "Ponta" area. The parish church was gradually enlarged over the centuries, until the nineteenth century, when the two aisles were added, but in 1935 it was definitively abandoned following the completion of the new church dedicated to Christ the King: today the building, completely restored, it is used as an auditorium.
The appearance of the town changed in the early twentieth century, when the Pirola spinning mill was opened on the lake shore and the Iseo-Paratico provincial road was built. New economic forms were also affirmed that transformed fishermen into restaurateurs thanks to the peculiar ability to cook lake fish, in particular the tench, fished above all in the area of the lake called "Foppa", in front of the town. Most of the restaurants were built along the provincial road and in the part towards the hill.